Thursday, December 11, 2014

Currier & Ives Christmas Memories

One of my favorite things about Christmas is how we seem to embrace the past--whether it's reliving old times, singing familiar carols, or reminiscing about old ornaments. Each year when I see a Currier & Ives print, I'm immediately thrown back to days of my childhood: to visiting my granny's home in the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas, her wood stove, outhouse, farm, and those deep snows on the ground.


Currier & Ives made scenes from all over the United States. While researching steamboats, I ran across this lovely old print. To me, it looks like a chilly winter night!




I've collected several Currier & Ives dishes that I display. This plate always reminded me of my Granny's house when I first caught sight of it at the end of her road.



Do you have any "Currier & Ives" memories? Or just like their prints in general?

No comments:

Post a Comment